Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The first vet visit -news and info about heartworm

The day I decided to actually adopt Marnie- Wed Feb 29, I wrote the check and was so happy! The shelter handed me her paperwork, including her vet info. She was found running down the road with her 3 Three month old puppies in tow. Her puppies had all been adopted out. The paperwork showed she was brought in January 3, spayed on January 6. AND !!! is Heartworm positive. It was not apparent prior to that moment-but the outcome would have been the same. I fell in love with her. I also had a list of vets in the area that would do a free vet check. So I called one in Auburn. After reading all about heartworm and its treatment - read here American Heartworm Society- I asked to have an xray ($$) she has an enlarged heart (right ventrical) and pulmonary inflamtion-the veins leading from the heart. The vet explained the treatment and gave me a cost estimate of $1200 !!! EEK
I was very sad for days- I have a wonderful-happy,energetic dog that likes male and females-loves to play, but physically can't. The treatment is scary and the side effects life threatening-as is heartworm in general. The dog needs to remain very quiet- for 4 weeks- no stairs and as little movement as possible- there is a total of 3 shots over 2 months. The shelter is going to donate $150 to the cause, and I am taking Marnie to Dr Irene my, vet who has quoted her shot as $100 less than the other vet. Dr Irene actually buried Marla on her property, so I trust her of course with Marnie.

No comments:

Post a Comment