Thursday, April 3, 2014

Formal Trainng 2013 highlights pre October

Marnie came to me knowing nothing about manners and civil dog behavior. I spent some time reading all I could about clicker training  cuz it intrigued me and during 2011 during her rehab, I needed something to sharpen her brain., more to the point- teaching her to learn with out getting her heartrate up. SOO clicker trained her all the tricks I could
-Play Dead-
shake hands
roll over
taught her how to turn on a lamp with a touch plate
taught her how to "touch" with her nose (target)

So when she could start to walk- I used the clicker to teach her not to pull on the leash and to heel.  She now was pretty good. HER problem is she weighs about 90lbs (today about 81)
A few times- she had impulse problems at other dogs, deer, squirrel and pulled me to the ground. I came to figure out she knew she could get away, and / or pull me down.

I then after, many collar configurations and types, ended up using a Halti. I use 2 leashes one on a martingale, and one on the hallti. I weigh about 100 lbs- soo you can see the problem.

I took an obedience class- she was the teachers favorite UNTIL the last day when she linged and whipped around to try and free herself to get to the teachers dog. She had took it out of the crate- and of course that was a new dog -all hell broke loose. OOPS. fortunately-shes quiet and all she wants to do is sniff butt.  So I needed more to train too. The teacher suggested going to the Vets Parking lot and train wioth unfamiliar dogs going and coming.  I wanted to do that but its very inconvienient.

Then I found KAYS Dog training , in Roseville! She has a class for leash reactive dogs!
See THAT post

No comments:

Post a Comment